Sunday, October 28, 2012

Makin presents!!


So, my husband had a couple of friends come out for a visit. He hadn't seen these friends for over 15 years. They had all worked at an independent coffee house together when they were younger and recently reconnected via Facebook. (Gotta love the Facebook reconnections!!) 

My husband and I decided it would be fun if we made them something for their kids. One friend has a 3 year old son and the other friend has his first child due in January, also a boy. We decided to do freezer paper stenciled shirts with the logo of their old coffeehouse. But of course I couldn't stop there. I really love giving presents. Like, really, a lot. So, I added a super hero cape and cuffs for the three year old and a plush ribbon tabbed toy for the baby. 

not pictured:gray long sleeved tshirt

not pictured:superhero power cuffs

1. I bought a 5 pack of onesies and dyed them. The 2 that I freezer paper stenciled I twisted and then tied into knots before putting them into the dye bath. This was almost a gift/crafty fail. I realized as I was gathering all the supplies, the night before they were leaving (I know, I shouldn't have waited until the last minute), that I didn't have any freezer paper. Kinda panicking, I was looking all over the place and I saw a roll of paper that I thought was freezer paper. Turns out it was a roll of laminating paper. Turns out laminating paper works instead of freezer paper. And no need for an iron!  My favorite freezer paper tutorial is this one from Dana over at Made. She also has a great post on dyeing fabric.

2. I found this awesome little plush toy tutorial via pinterest. Isn't is so cute!! I love it!! I added an old wipes wrapper to the inside so it makes that crinkly noise when the baby plays with it. My 9 month old loved it. I want to make one for her Christmas stocking. And there are so many other cute ideas and tutorials on Chez Beeper Bebe!

3. What 3 year old doesn't love a super hero cape?! Jenny's tutorial is awesome. I love using a hooded sweatshirt. And I don't use the vecro, I just cut around the neckline so the child can slip it on over their head. I designed a little super hero logo for the back and used my laminating paper for that.  And the gray tshirt was another laminating paper stencil. 

My husband came home at 2 in the morning after hanging out with the guys and found me happily crafting away. The cuffs aren't in the picture because I didn't finish them in time. I was tired!! One little boy is going to get a fun little package in the mail!

I had so much fun making these gifts and the dads loved them. Yay!

The Southern Institute





No comments:

Post a Comment