Saturday, April 24, 2010

stirrings

i'm feeling the faint stirrings of creativity inside. i haven't felt these in awhile. there's so much i want to tackle. i think maybe they're being roused by the fact that almost every blog i follow is some sort of creativity fest. either dedicated to some sort of craft or the author is a crafty person herself.

there are so very many things i want to learn, but i also feel weighed down by responsibility. i feel like i have way too many other pressing things that i 'have to' take care of. examples: i can't learn how to sew because my desk is horribly unorganized. i couldn't possibly take the time to make that fabulous headband because my hallway is lined with bins of clothes that my children have outgrown and i need to sort them. i so badly want to learn the new photography editing software my husband got for me, but i can't because my basement is a jumble of old stuff we don't use anymore. etc, etc.

am i making excuses? those are things that need to be done, but i can do other things too, right? i feel like i've been trying to find a balance in my life and i still can't grasp how to do it. so many other times i've stifled this creative thing that rises up, so i know that if i don't do anything about it, eventually, in a few days or weeks it'll go away again. but i don't want that to happen this time.

how do you balance the responsibilities of life and creativity?

4 comments:

  1. I like little simple products. You get to y\use your creativity, feel a sense of achievement and you can work it into your busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much just don't balance it . . . you know, I prefer to let chaos rule my house. Unfortunately, now that it's on the market, that means I have to put crafty stuff away in favor of order in the home. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much don't balance it. Either my house is a mess and i get to be crafty, or I put it all away in favor of order in the home (which, unfortunately, is what I have to do right now since it's on the market!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! same life challenges over here. my head is a creative nest - millions of ideas wanting to come out. but I find it really hard to have peace and time to create with a baby girl. a very busy one. lately I've been trying to schedule everything. I make notes and go following a calendar of things I want to get done. it gives me a sense of moving forward - but I am always behind :)

    ReplyDelete